A while back, I featured these adorable handbags on Scoutie Girl. They were from a new company, Fuffy J. Couture - sisters with great concept and very versatile aesthetic. I have since had a few email conversations with one of the sisters, Lyndi, who had some questions about sourcing. They were invited to create handbags for a breast cancer foundation and need to be able to produce many of the same handbag - rather than one-offs. You can see their style lends itself well to OOAK, not necessarily a semi-large production. Plus, they need to keep their raw materials' costs down to defray the cost of hiring a sewing contractor and make a profit while still donating a percentage of the retail price to the foundation.
Years ago, I would've said, "no way!" In fact, I have a folder in my inbox called "audacious questions" - I keep it b/c I still get some bold questions that have a sassy tone with a "you-owe-me" quality to them. Weird.
Anyway, I am thrilled to share info with Lyndi and with anyone reading who cares (except where it's proprietary) b/c we need more small business succeeding than ever before - and we're all trying to make our own way! Why not light the path if you can for those who follow?
These are places where I've received decent service, quality products and very fair pricing - with minimums I could handle. Your requirements may be different (use with discretionary caution and do your own comparisons!):
- zippers: U-Can Zippers by Catame Inc
- magnetic snaps: Romag
- grommet press and grommets: Micron America (also goes by grommetmart.com)
- elastic, velvet, cotton cord, trims: JKM Products Corp **delivery can be slow**
- more trims: Cheep Trims **must order a certain $$$ each year**
- thread: The Thread Exchange and Atlantic Thread & Supply
- some metal hardware: WBC Industries
- metal sliders and buckles: Les Bon Ribbon
- webbing: Rochford Supply
- interfacing: Diversified Textiles (will have to track down!!)
- sateen lining fabric: DesignWare
- logo labels: Artco Textiles
- care & content labels: name maker
- velcro: Valley Products Co.
- handles: UMX and Sunbelt