The original shirt on the left is a drapey, jersey knit in a tunic-style with a lot of stretch. I really, really like it, but no matter what I paired it with, it just didn't look good on me. Couldn't figure it out. I opted to alter it with some random gathered stitches, which allows it to fit more like a regular fitted tee.
I was thinking of the uber-cool gathered, textured bags by made by hank when I started this altered look. I've also fallen in love with a lot of asymmetrical & randomly ruched, gathered and pleated shirts lately - so I think that's also where my mind was when I thought, "A little pinch here, a little gather there....no probs!" I love how it turned out! It's artsy-fartsy and one-of-a-kind! Plus, now I can actually wear it!
It's challenging to see where you're sewing once you start pinching, smooshing and gathering sections of it, so I placed some pins in the shirt before sitting at the sewing machine to give me a few general ideas about placement. I tried it on, added some more pins where it laid funny or where it was too spaced out. Sewed, tried on, pinned... just about 3 times. I sewed the gathers back & forth like a letter W.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I realize my version may not be your cuppa tea... If you'd like to reconstruct t-shirt and need some ideas, check out t-shirt surgery ~ an entire community devoted to altering t-shirts in every way imaginable!!