The beautiful, creative blocks from the New Leaf Bee Block Blog Hop came together so nicely in this quilt top! It is pure kismet* that some of these blocks are bordering on similar to one another as I gave no instructions to the block designers. The sameness of some and the uniqueness of others made the layout of the quilt pretty easy to fashion – like certain blocks should be in certain locations just because.
Each block started out at 12” x 12” (finished at 11.5”). I added a 2.5” white sash to frame out each block (a 2” sash when finished). I fussy cut a few of the flower strips in the Festoon fabric and added those between the white, vertical sashing pieces, primarily to add width to the quilt. The completed top as it is now is 51” x 68”.
*I love when a group shakes out like that, where certain patterns or looks trend seemingly out of nowhere. Maybe it’s the marketing researcher in me that delights in statistical trends in a quilting bee – patterns in patterns, if you will! It really isn’t out of nowhere, however, b/c our experiences, backgrounds, abilities, etc. will always propel us to behave and think in certain ways… so if our inputs are similar, our outputs will be, too. Then, there are always the outliers in a subsample…. those who are outside the bell curve so to speak. It’s all good to me – everyone has an important place in the whole!!
I played around with a few layouts, and this one seemed to have the most balanced look overall. For a few mock layouts, I tried to pretend the individual design of each block didn’t matter and that any random placement would magically flow. Truthfully, the unique aesthetic of each one is strong enough that I felt placement mattered – to bring out the best in each block and the look of the final quilt.
The top is off being quilted now at a long-arm machine quilter who lives blocks from me…. Blocks I tell you! What a joy to find her! She’s young, she’s hip, she’s talented and she’s close! I will certainly share this quilt with you when it’s 100% finished!